I was so excited to stumble upon the above idea on kluckingbear.blogspot.com. It is the solution to one of my broken pumpkins!
I bought a bunch of those carve-able craft pumpkins years ago after Halloween on clearance. Of course I carved them up the very next year and have loved them ever since...but there has been a tragedy this year. One of the pumpkins with an intricate design did not store very well (of course it was my STL Cardinals one <insert sad face here>). I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I didn't throw it away...I figured there had to be SOMETHING I could do with it.
So here we go. I usually like to do my own thing...but this graveyard scene in on the inspiration blog is absolutely perfect...so mine is going to be really similar.
I am really excited about this since I already own the pumpkin, I know I have black glitter and paint in my craft stash, and of course there are rocks and twigs to be found out in the yard. So it was a matter of scoping out some small skeletons or something for my graveyard.
I cut out my shape (made it more jagged) and painted the inside.
I thought I would mix a dark blue and purple together for a night sky. I painted some black trees in the background and went over with some good old Elmer's glue and added the glitter.
I also scavenged in the yard for some twigs for my trees and I painted them black and glitterfied them. I squeezed out way too much black paint and not wanting to waste it, I got a little carried away...I made swirls and stuff all over. I then cut 1" styrofoam to fit into the bottom of my pumpkin and covered with sheet moss.
Below you will see that I was testing how one of those battery powered tealights looked...eh, it's okay...
But, above you will see I finally found what else was going to go inside. Michael's had their little "Spooky Town" things 50% off. I scored a pair of battery powered tombstones that were marked on clearance for less than 50% off and also a skeleton in his coffin...so total for that was about $7 and that is all I spent (besides time) on this project!
I fed the battery pack through the hole in the bottom and then glued down the foam and all the pieces. Then I took a little bit of the spider webbing from my outdoor decorations and draped on all the branches. I secured these to the foam with little pieces of wire and stuck a little spider in there (well, it is a large spider in relation to the size of everything else).
And here it is with the lights out and gravestones lit..of course now I see that I should have put the unlit one back center and then placed the lit ones on either side turned slightly inward - but my toddler could care less. He loves it just the way it is and I got a "Yay Mommy!" with applause.